Pages

30 November 2012

Google Nexus 4

To buy or not to buy Google Nexus 4, that is the question. I was seriously tempted to spring for this phone yesterday morning.

I went through all the steps. And for people like me located outside the US, that includes a few annoying steps, such as connecting via VPN and updating all my addresses in Google's services to US addresses before I was even allowed to get to the Google Play page.




















I went all the way to the last page and just needed to click on that last button. But I ended up not pulling the trigger.

Two reasons:
1. The price.
The phone itself is US$299.00 for the 8gb version and US$349.00 for the 16gb one. It's another US$14 for shipping within the US. So even without the price of the shipping to Singapore, that's more than the magical tax mark of S$400 and this means I'd have to add at least another S$30 in my contribution to the taxman.

2. The long wait
Yesterday morning it was 7-8 weeks for the 8gb and 2-3 weeks for the 16gb. It's now 1 more week of waiting time. 2-3 weeks for the 16gb is acceptable but this combined with the extra US$50, I just opted to keep at it on my iPhone 4 for a while longer.


The Google Nexus 4 sure looks great though. I could just lick it. If only I had been brought up to be a big spender. Or even a moderate spender.